Building Control Full Plans Application

You must submit a Full Plans application if:

  • the building work you are doing
  • or the change of use to the building

requires Building Regulations approval.

Guidance on the type of work that requires Building Regulations approval

Once we make a decision on your application, your builder can then work to plans that we have approved.

Work that is subject to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005

You must go through the Full Plans procedure for any work that is subject to this order, like:

  • offices
  • flats
  • industrial buildings

This is to allow consultation with the Fire Service.

The Building Notice process is not appropriate for this type of work.


Your Plans may be passed subject to certain conditions. These conditions may ask for:

  • modifications to the original plans submitted
  • further plans to be deposited

This information is for general guidance only. More information about depositing plans is in Regulation 14 of the Building Regulations.

There is more information about charges in our Building Control Charges Scheme. This Scheme meets the requirements of the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010.

Planning permission

Remember that you may need planning permission for the work, under the Town and Country Planning acts.

Fees and charges

Fees and charges for a Full Plans application are usually payable in two stages:

  • You must make the first payment when you deposit your plans
  • You must make the second payment after the first site inspection of work in progress

The second charge is a single payment for each individual building. It covers all site visits and any necessary consultations, until the work is completed to a satisfactory level.

The charge depends on the type of work proposed. The level of charges and methods of calculation are in the Explanatory Note and fee sheets.

Client consent form

It is a legal requirement to submit a client consent form with a full plans application. Applications can not be validated unless a client consent form is submitted with the application.

You must use competent plan-drawers, builders and electricians. If you don't, we may charge extra for any additional input we have to make.