Council Tax

Council Tax applies to all domestic properties, whether owned or rented. The main resident (normally the owner or tenant of a property) has to pay the council tax. Couples who live together are both liable. 


Read our new code of practice for enforcement agents (formerly known as bailiffs). It has been written to make sure that they are respectful at all times.

We want to adopt a firm, flexible and fair approach to our debt recovery. We understand that on some occasions some people experience genuine personal or financial difficulty and might not be able to pay their debts when they are due. We will offer support to people in those circumstances.

 Discounts and Reductions

  • Council Tax Support - for people on low income with small savings
  • Discounts - people living alone will normally receive a 25% discount
  • Exemptions - there are a number of cases where you do not have to pay any council tax
  • Disabled Person's Reduction - there are a few circumstances where houses occupied by a disabled person may qualify for a reduction

Access your Council Tax account 

You can access your council tax account to:

  • Check how much you owe
  • Make payments
  • Let us know if you've moved
  • Apply for a single person discount
  • Set up a direct debit