Council Tax bands and charges

What we charge for each band

Pendle is divided into different areas (parishes and towns). Charges are different in each area because of different levels of spending by the parishes.

Council Tax bands

Your Council Tax bill depends on what Council Tax band your property is in, and the level of Council Tax we set each year.

We are responsible for billing and collection of Council Tax including any relief from payment.

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for Council Tax bands for domestic properties.

There are 8 bands based on the value of the property. The value of the property is based on its estimated sale value on 1 April 1991. New properties are valued as if they existed in 1991.

This table shows the value range that determines the band.

Valuation Band
Up to £40,000 A
£40,001 to £52,000 B
£52,001 to £68,000 C
£68,001 to £88,000 D
£88,001 to £120,000 E
£120,001 to £160,000 F
£160,001 to £320,000 G
Over £320,000 H

You can check your Council Tax band on GOV.UK.

Can I appeal against the valuation band for my property?

You can ask the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to review your Council Tax band if you think it is wrong and you have been the taxpayer for less than six months, or your band has changed in the last six months.

If this does not apply you can still ask the VOA to review your Council Tax band, but you’ll need to provide strong supporting evidence showing why you believe your property is in the wrong band.

Find out about challenging your Council Tax band on VOA’s website.

 If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.