Council Tax Support
You might be able to get help paying your council tax if you have a low income and your savings are £16,000 or below. Some types of income do not count, so it is worth applying even if you think you do not qualify. You can check if you might qualify for any support using an online benefits calculator although this is only an estimate, and not a guarantee.
Send us your evidence
Once you have submitted an application, use our evidence upload form to submit any evidence to support your claim, for example, proof of occupation, student certificate or evidence for a disabled band reduction.
When you complete a claim form you will need to give us:
- proof of your identity
- proof of income and capital
- details of anyone else who lives with you
Second Adult Rebate
You might also get Second Adult Rebate, if you share your home with someone who:
- is aged 18 or over
- is not paying you rent
- is not paying council tax themselves
You do not have to be getting Council Tax Support to qualify for Second Adult Rebate. And Second Adult Rebate is not affected by your income and savings - it is based on the other person’s savings.
Changes in circumstances
You must tell us if your circumstances change though, for example if:
- any of your children leave school or leave home
- anyone moves into or out of your home
- your income, or the income of anyone living with you changes
- your capital or savings change
- your rent changes
- you move
- you or your civil partner are going to be away from home for more than four weeks
Get your claim dealt with quickly
We can process your claim quicker if you:
- answer all the questions on the claim form
- give us proof of all your details as soon as possible
- reply straight away if we ask you for any more information
- contact us quickly if there is something that you do not understand
If you are unable to get out easily, contact us and let us know why you need a visit, and we may be able to send a Visiting Officer to your home.
You can use these calculators to work out if you might be entitled to any benefits. You must remember that these only provide an estimate, and are not a guarantee.Gov.Uk benefits calculators