I can't pay my Council Tax

If you are having problems paying your Council Tax, you need to contact us straight away.

We can tell you if you qualify for any discounts, or reductions.

We might also be able to make an alternative payment arrangement.


If we have to take enforcement action to collect Council Tax debt, we have a Local Code of Practice which protects our residents. It helps to make sure that enforcement agents (formerly known as bailiffs) are respectful at all times. 

We want to adopt a firm, flexible and fair approach to our debt recovery. We understand that on some occasions some people experience genuine personal or financial difficulty and might not be able to pay their debts when they are due. We will offer support to people in those circumstances.