Personal and Premises licence

Provisional Statement

If you are in the process of constructing premises which will need a licence, or you are extending or altering premises, you can apply for a Provisional Statement. This will give you some assurance that a premises Licence would be granted once the work is completed.

Who can apply for a Provisional Statement?

Anyone aged 18 or over, who has an interest in the premises may apply for a Provisional Statement.

This also includes a business e.g. the applicant could be a firm of architects, a construction firm or a financier.

How long does a Provisional Statement last?

It doesn't have a limited duration. However, as there is the potential for material change over time, the longer the delay before a Premises Licence is applied for, the greater the possibility that representations, at the later application, may be allowed.

How do I make an application?

The applicant must produce:

  • a completed application form
  • a schedule of works which must include a statement made by or on behalf of the applicant and must include particulars of the premises to which the application relates and details of the licensable activities for which the premises are to be used and plans of the proposed works

The proposed plan must:

  • be drawn to standard scale, unless an alternative scale has been approved by the Licensing Authority in writing
  • show the extent of the boundary of the building if relevant and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • show the location of points of access to and egress from the premises
  • show the location of escape routes from the premises
  • in a case where the premises are to be used for more then one licensable activity, show the area within the premises used for each activity
  • show fixed structures, including furniture, or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  • show, in a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
  • show, in a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • show, in a case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms
  • show the location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment including, if applicable, marine safety equipment
  • show the location of the kitchen, if any, in the premises

The plan may include a legend by means of which the above-mentioned matters are identified by the use of symbols on the plan. 

If the premises have not been constructed, the fee for a Provisional Statement is £315.00. If the premises already exist, but require substantial extension or alteration, the fee for the Provisional Statement is based on the Non-Domestic Rateable Value (NDRV) of the property. If the property has no NDRV, the premises will be deemed to be in Band A.

How to pay?

Advertisement of the application

The application must be advertised as follows:

  • a notice must be prominently displayed at or on the premises for not less than 28 consecutive days, starting on the day following the day on which the application was given to us
  • the notice should be displayed where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises to which it relates and, in the case of a premises covering an area of more than 50 square metres, a further notice in the same form should be displayed every 50 metres along the exterior perimeter of the premises abutting any highway. If the notice is to be displayed outside, consideration should be given to placing the notice in a plastic cover
  • the notice should be A4 or larger, of a pale blue colour and be printed or typed legibly in black ink in a font equal to or larger than 16
  • in a local newspaper circulating in the area where the premises is situated, on at least one occasion within 10 working days of the application being submitted to the Licensing Authority (the 10 working days start on the day following the day on which the application was given to the Licensing Authority)

Where to send the application

Send the completed application and accompanying documents to:

Pendle Borough Council
Planning, Building Control and Licensing Services Manager
Town Hall
Market Street

A copy of the application and accompanying documents must also be given to all of the Responsible Authorities, on the same day as the application is given to the Licensing Authority. If you do not send full copies to the Responsible Authorities, any one of them can declare your application to be invalid.