Garden waste

We are now accepting payments for the garden waste collection service for 2017/18. 

The subscription charge is £30 per bin per year, payable in advance. This is a non-refundable fixed cost for the period 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018.

To pay online, using a debit or credit card, you will need your Garden Waste Reference Number. 

You can search for your garden waste reference number if you don't know it, or if you're a new subscriber and you're not sure if you have one. Enter either your postcode or your address to search.

If the search doesn't find your property that will mean that your street isn't currently on our collection rounds. However you can request to add your street to our collection rounds. We will then invesitigate if it is possible to add your street to our rounds.

Once you have paid, allow two weeks for the delivery of your bin sticker(s). This will be sent to you in the post along with a confirmation letter containing a copy of our current terms and conditions.

If you subscribe to the service, we will provide you with a green wheeled bin for your garden waste. Garden waste is collected fortnightly and on the same day as your recycling collections. If you live in one of our rural zones, the green bin is emptied on the same day as refuse collections.

On collection day, your green bin must be placed at the front edge of your property, nearest the kerbside, no later than 7.30 a.m. Bins must be presented with lids shut. If you have more garden waste than will fit in your green bin, we can supply an additional bin, but you must pay an extra subscription.

Contaminated garden waste bins will not be emptied by the collection crew.

What can go in my green bin?

  • Grass cuttings
  • Hedge clippings
  • Tree loppings
  • Twigs, bark, leaves
  • Straw and shavings
  • Flowers and plants
  • Small branches
  • Fallen fruit
  • Straw/hay
  • Rabbit bedding

What can't go in my green bin?

  • Household rubbish
  • Food/kitchen waste
  • Cardboard/paper
  • Plastic
  • Logs, thick branches
  • Ragwort
  • Soil, rubble
  • Flowerpots
  • Black bags

Logs, thick branches, soil, rubble and flowerpots should be taken to your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre, or you can request a separate Bulky Waste Collection for large items. You might need to pay for the removal of certain items. 


Small amounts of ragwort can be composted in a home compost bin, or disposed of double-wrapped in the grey refuse bin. For more information see the leaflet at DEFRA's website.