Freedom of information
Our Freedom of Information publication scheme
The aim of this Scheme is to be a general guide for the public in terms of what information should routinely be available to them by either accessing our website or upon request.
We are committed to publishing information freely and to develop further our culture of openness and transparency and will publish information in accordance with the Local Authorities (Data Transparency) Code. The information to be published under the Code is as follows:
Information to be published quarterly:
- Expenditure exceeding £500
- Government Procurement Card transactions
- Procurement Information
Information to be published annually:
- Details of all local authority land holdings
- Grants to voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations
- Our organisation chart
- Details of trade union facility time
- Parking revenues
- Details of any controlled parking spaces
- A list of senior salaries
- Our Constitution
- Details of the pay multiple as set out in our Pay Policy Statement
The information covered is included in the classes of information mentioned below, where this information is held by us. Additional assistance is provided to the definition of these classes in sector specific guidance manuals issued by the Information Commissioner.
The scheme commits us:
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information, including environmental information, which is held by the authority and falls within the classifications below
- To specify the information which is held by us and falls within the classifications below
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information in line with the statements contained within this scheme
- To produce and publish the methods by which the specific information is made routinely available so that it can be easily identified and accessed by members of the public
- To review and update on a regular basis the information the authority makes available under this scheme
- To produce a schedule of any fees charged for access to information which is made proactively available
- To make this publication scheme available to the public
- To publish any dataset held by us that has been requested, and any updated versions we hold, unless we are satisfied that it is not appropriate to do so; to publish the dataset, where reasonably practicable, in an electronic form that is capable of re-use; and, if any information in the dataset is a relevant copyright work and the public authority is the only owner, to make the information available for re-use under a specified licence.
The term ‘dataset’ is defined in section 11(5) of the Freedom of Information Act. The terms ‘relevant copyright work’ and ‘specified licence’ are defined in section 19(8) of that Act.
The Scheme falls into the following classes:
Who we are and what we do
Organisational information, locations and contacts, constitutional and legal governance.
This includes our Constitution and its Management Structure and contact details
What we spend and how we spend it
Financial information relating to projected and actual income and expenditure, tendering, procurement and contracts.
- Our current budget book
- Annual Statement of Accounts
- Medium Term Financial Strategy
- Annual Audit Letter
- Financial Regulations (need to link)
- Contracts Standing Orders (need to link)
What our priorities are and how we are doing
Strategy and performance information, plans, assessments, inspections and reviews.
This class covers information about our strategies and our service areas including performance indicators, and the Continuous Performance Assessment
How we make decisions
Policy proposals and decisions. Decision making processes, internal criteria and procedures, consultations.
This consists of a timetable of meetings, and the agendas, reports and minutes of those meetings website. Copies can also be inspected at Council Offices.
Our policies and procedures
Current written protocols for delivering our functions and responsibilities.
This class covers all current Council strategies and polices approved by the Council or its Policy and Resources Committee. Some examples are:
- Corporate Plan
- Strategic Plan
- Countryside Access Strategy
- Sustainable Community Strategy
- Strategic Risk Register
- Risk Management Policy
- Pendle Domestic Violence Strategy
- Corporate Energy Policy
- Homelessness Strategy
Lists and registers
Information held in registers required by law and other lists and registers relating to the functions of the authority.
We have various licensing and regulatory responsibilities covering Planning, Environmental Health and Licensing.
Planning applications and lists and public register of licences (e.g. Food Premises and other environmental health information) are available.
The services we offer
Advice and guidance, booklets and leaflets, transactions and media releases. A description of the services offered.
We provide a wide variety of services to the public and routinely publish information about these services, often in the form of leaflets, guidance notes, booklets, transactions and media releases.
There are also publications and newsletters containing tourist information.
The classes of information will not generally include:
- Information the disclosure of which is prevented by law, or exempt under the Freedom of Information Act, or is otherwise properly considered to be protected from protected
- Information in draft form
- Information that is no longer readily available as it is contained in filed that have been placed in archive storage, or is difficult to access for similar reasons
- The method by which information published under this scheme will be made available
We will indicate clearly to the public what information is covered by this scheme and how it can be obtained.
Where it is within our capability, information will be provided on this website. Where it is impracticable to make information available this way, or when an individual does not wish to access the information this way, we will indicate how information can be obtained by other means and provide it by those means.
In exceptional circumstances some information may be available only by viewing in person. Where this manner is specified, contact details will be provided. An appointment to view the information will be arranged within a reasonable timescale.
Information will be provided in the language in which it is held or in such other languages that is legally required. Where an authority is legally required to translate any information it will do so.
Obligations under disability and discrimination legislation and any other legislation to provide information in other forms and formats will be adhered to when providing information in accordance with this scheme.
Charges which may be made for information published under this scheme
The purpose of this scheme is to make the maximum amount of information readily available at minimum inconvenience and cost to the public. Charges made by us routinely for published material will be justified and transparent and kept to a minimum.
- Material which is published and accessed on this website will be provided free of charge
- Charges may be made for information subject to a charging regime specified by Parliament
- Charges may be made for actual disbursements incurred such as photocopying, postage and packaging and the cost directly incurred as a result of viewing information
Charges may also be made for information provided under this scheme where they are legally authorised, they are in all the circumstances, including the general principle of the right of access to information held by the public authorities, justified and are in accordance with a published schedule or schedules of fees which is readily available to the public.
If a charge is to be made, confirmation of the payment due will be given before the information is provided. Payment may be requested prior to provision of the information.
Information held by us that is not published under this scheme can be requested in writing, when its provision will be considered in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act.
If you have any queries about the scheme or have difficulty in getting access to the information covered by the Scheme, please contact us.