In 2017, the Government introduced a requirement for all councils to prepare a Brownfield Land Register for their area and publish it by 31 December each year.
What is the Brownfield Land Register?
The Brownfield Land Register provides up-to-date, publicly available information on Brownfield (previously developed) land that is suitable for housing. The Council has used its Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) and the Local Plan 'Call for Sites' consultation to help identify Brownfield sites in the borough.
The register meets the requirements of the Town and Country Planning (Brownfield Land Register) Regulations 2017. Only sites that meet the assessment criteria set out in these regulations are included on the Register. The criteria look at whether a site is:
- Suitable – the site is allocated for development in a local development plan document, has planning permission for residential development, has a grant of permission in principle, or in the opinion of the local planning authority is considered appropriate for residential development taking account of the impact on the natural and historic environment etc
- Available – the relevant owner / developer has expressed an intention to sell or develop the land
- Achievable – in the opinion of the local planning authority, the development is likely to take place within 15 years of the date the site was entered on the register
The Register is presented in two parts:
- Part 1 provides a comprehensive list of all Brownfield sites in Pendle that are suitable for housing development
- Part 2 provides a list of those Brownfield sites included on Part 1 where the Council has granted ‘permission in principle’
In Pendle the Council has agreed not to grant permission in principle on any of the sites in Part 1 at this stage – as a consequence there is no Part 2 Register.
Pendle’s Brownfield Land Register
You can download the Pendle Brownfield Register along with a plan for each site. An interactive map showing the sites is also available.
- Pendle Brownfield Register (csv file)
- Pendle Brownfield Register (xlsx file)
- Pendle Brownfield Register Site Plans
- Pendle Brownfield Register Interactive Map (zoom in to the area you are interested in and double click on one of the brown coloured sites to find out further information).