Pre- application planning advice

Pre-application advice

For houses 

The Planning Portal's Guide for Householders gives general advice on whether you need planning permission or not. It does not give specific advice relating to individual properties. 

We can give specific advice for your build and whether you need planning permission. For this you need to fill out the Householder Permitted Development Enquiry Form
There is an £80.00 charge for this service which you need to pay when you submit the form. 

Planning for other developments

Pre-application advice

It's a good idea to discuss your proposals with us before submitting a planning application.

Our Guide to the Development Management Process will give you a better understanding and answer any questions you may have.
We have a system of charges for pre-application advice. If your proposal is for a large scale development, read it for an explanation of the charges and how to pay

Non-householder developments

The Planning Portal gives information on all types of non-householder development, for example, taxi firms, new houses, offices and shops, and agricultural development. A range of guides are available:
To find out whether you need planning permission fill in one of the forms below:

Building regulations

Even if you do not need planning permission you may need Building Regulations Approval.

Self/Custom Build

If you're interested in building or commissioning someone to build a home for you, you can register your interest in self/custom build.

Planning and Enforcement

Please leave a message on the answerphone and an officer will return your call as soon as possible. Messages are usually picked up twice a day.

Planning and Building Control,
Town Hall,
Market Street,

Tel: 01282 661333