Building regulations approval

Apply for building regulations approval


The Planning Portal is the easy way to apply and pay for building regulations approval online. Registration is easy and you can complete your application form and upload supporting documents.

Find out how to make a payment for Building Control applications online

Paper based

The type of building regulations approval you will need depends on the work you are intending to carry out:

Domestic work

We recommend using a Full Plans Application for:

  • Extensions
  • Loft conversions
  • New dwellings or flats
  • Garage conversions
  • Barn conversions

Your completed application must contain:

  • Two copies of the plans 
  • A location plan of the building to 1:1250 scale
  • A completed application form
  • The appropriate plan fee

Commercial work

We need a Full Plans Application for:

  • Any building work that comes under building regulation control (offices, shops, factories, hotels, public houses, and non-residential buildings)

Your completed application must contain:

  • Four copies of the plans
  • Location plan of the building
  • The appropriate plan fee

Building notice application form

Building notices are useful if you are working on smaller projects. Work can proceed quickly without submitting plans. It can't be used for certain projects such as shops and offices, where there are requirements for means of escape in case of fire.

Your completed building notice application form must contain:

  • A completed application form
  • An estimate of the cost of work and the appropriate fee
  • In the case of extensions and new buildings a 1:1250 location plan  

Replacement windows notice form

For replacement windows and doors with over 50% glass. 

Regularisation Application Form

If building work has already been carried out that you should have informed us about, you will need to submit a regularisation form.

Your completed application form must contain:

  • Plans indicating the property before and after the work  

Find out how to make a payment online for a Building Control Regularisation application

Demolition Notice

You cannot apply online for a Demolition Notice. If you want to carry out a demolition, a Demolition Notice Form must be filled in and submitted to us along with a location plan highlighting the property to be demolished and a Method Statement for the proposal.

Submitting paper based applications 

Send completed applications via email to:

Alternatively, post them to: 

Building Control Manager
Pendle Borough Council
Market Street

Check sheet and fees

Building control

Tel: 01282 661727

Find a qualified electrician

A list of electricians that are able to work safely in your home to legally required standards

Registered Competent Person Electrical