Our town centres
Nelson town centre
Nelson is home to a traditional indoor market and a number of independent shops.
It is also one of only 12 towns in the UK to be selected to be a Portas Pilot Town as part of the Mary Portas Review.
Premises Improvement Grants
To help businesses in the town centre we can offer grant assistance to businesses who want to make improvements to their buildings. This includes a wide range of works from new signage to sandblasting of stone.
A number of projects have already taken place in the town.
Nelson High Street
- A new pedestrian tree-lined boulevard created to provide a safe and enjoyable space for people on foot.
- A central amphitheatre-style space, where people can sit and enjoy the town centre with views of Pendle Hill and Market Street in the background
- New off-street parking on Leeds Road and rationalised car parking on Manchester Road
- New seating, signs and impressive up lighting installed at ground level, which will light up key buildings such as the clock tower, HSBC bank and Barclays bank
- New tree planting, planter beds, shrubs and grasses will be planted throughout the design to soften the landscape
- Nelson Shuttle as part of the improvements to Nelson town centre a 12m high weaving shuttle has been installed in the centre of Nelson
- Number One Market Street, the flagship building signals the rebirth of Nelson, and will bring 300 new jobs to the area in the next few years. The building is also home to contact Pendle where residents can speak to council services, pay bills and pick up information and advice all at one point!
Nelson bus and rail interchange opened in late 2008
The new interchange is a joint scheme involving Lancashire County Council, ourselves and the Pendle Partnership. The overall scheme cost is £4.5M covering both the bus and rail interchange works.
A mixed use development, opened in 2009 which has a theatre, recording studios, function rooms, and office space for developing businesses. Visit the ACE website http://www.acecentre.co.uk/.
New inside spa which provides a relaxing time for adults while the kids can have fun in the pool.
For further information on any of the Nelson schemes please contact the town centres team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
With all the planned projects in the town the future certainly looks brighter for Nelson!