Paying your council tax
If you pay by Direct Debit, you have a choice of three payment dates:
- 20th day of the month by 10 instalments (April to January)
- Last day of the month by 10 instalments (April to January)
- First day of the month by 12 instalments (April to March)
Why choose Direct Debit?
- Paying by Direct Debit keeps collection costs down and the savings go towards improving services
- Direct Debit guarantees you an immediate refund in the unlikely event of an error occurring. We will inform you of any changes at least 14 days before the next instalment is due and you are free to cancel at any time, so you stay in control of your payments
- You have a choice of payment dates only offered to Direct Debit payers because our collection costs are much cheaper
- This guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit, we will notify you 14 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request us to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit by ourselves or your Bank or Building Society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when we ask you to.
You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.
Free app to manage your bills
Stay effortlessly on top of your finances with the Direct Debit control centre – an easy to use app which puts you in control of your bill payments.
The Direct Debit control centre is designed for:
- iPhone and iPad – iOS4 and iOS5,
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Download the free app today. Once you’ve created a secure PIN, you’ll have access to a wide range of features.
Other ways to pay
- By credit card or debit card through our online payments page. You will need to have your Council Tax Account Reference Number available (it is on your bill)
- Our Automated Payment Telephone line - 0845 3723334 - is now up and running for customers wishing to pay their council tax over the phone. The telephone line is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- You can send a cheque payable to Borough of Pendle or visit one of the council shops or offices. You should include information about your address or council tax account reference number which is on your bill
- Return to the council tax homepage