Conservation areas

Demolition in a conservation area

You will need to apply for Conservation Area Consent for demolition if you wish to demolish:

  • a building in a conservation area, the total volume of which is over 115 cubic metres or;
  • a wall over 1 metre high fronting onto a highway or open space, or over 2 metres elsewhere

Conservation area consent for demolition in a conservation area

Planning permission and conservation area consent for demolition in a conservation area 

In considering such applications, we will take into account the part played in the architectural or historic interest of the area by the building, and the wider effects of demolition on the building's surroundings and on the conservation area as a whole.

Planning permission may also be needed. Contact a Planning Officer if you are unsure whether you need to apply