Private hire operator's licence
Conditions of the licence
Vehicle and drivers licences
The operator must not allow the use of any vehicle as a private hire vehicle unless it has a private hire vehicle licence issued by us which is in force.
The driver of any private hire vehicle must hold a current private hire driving licence issued by us.
Number of passengers
The operator cannot carry or allow to be carried more people in a vehicle than the licence allows.
Standard of service
The operator has to provide a prompt, efficient and reliable service to members of the public at all reasonable times and has to:
- make sure that vehicles tunr up on time for booked appointments, unless delayed or prevented with good reason
- keep any public booking or waiting areas clean, adequately heated, ventilated and lit
- make sure there is adequate seating in any waiting area
- make sure that telephone and radio equipment are kept in sound condition and that defects are repaired quickly
- must have the right planning permission for the premises, and comply with any conditions attached
- must not operate any vehicle under his licence from a different address to the one on the application form and licence without getting approval first from us in writing
Operator's trading name
The operator must get permission from us to use additional trading names, other than those on the private hire operator's licence.
Display of licence
The licence and conditions must be displayed in any publicly accessible booking or waiting areas. A photocopy is acceptable, but the licence and conditions must be easy to see.
When the operator accepts a hiring, he must tell the person hiring the vehicle the fare or the rate of fare for the journey. He must also immediately create a record with the details of the booking in ink, which can easily be read.
The records an operator is required to keep, must be kept in a book authorised by us, with pages that are numbered consecutively. The operator has to make sure that the following details are entered before the start of each journey:
- the date the booking is made
- the name of the person niring the vehicle
- the time and point of pick-up
- the destination
- the charge made
- the driver's name
- the registration number or radio call sign of the vehicle allocated for the booking
The operator must keep records of all private hire vehicles operated by him as follows:
- the vehicle owner
- registration numbers
- private hire vehicle licence numbers
- drivers and call signs used
These records must be kept by the operator at their place of business. They should be kept for not less than six months after the date of the last entry. They must be shown to any authorised officer on request.
Receipt for fare
The operator must make sure that the driver of a private hire vehicle can produce a written receipt for the fare paid to any passenger if so requested.
No advertising which uses the words "taxi" or "cab" is allowed on the roof of the vehicle or on the premises. The operator is only allowed to advertise the name and telephone number of the private hire firm on the front doors of the vehicle.
Change of address
The operator must notify us in writing of any change of home or business address within seven days.
The operator must make sure that ALL vehicles used for private hire under his operation are properly insured at all times for commercial private hire as well as for any other purpose required by the Road Traffic Acts.
If the operator occupies premises which are publicly accessible for booking or waiting, they must be insured against occupier's and public liability for a sum of not less than £250,000.00.
The operator must tell us of any convictions within seven days. If the operator is a company or partnership, they must also tell us within seven days of any convictions imposed on any of the directors or partners.
Suspension or revocation of licence
We can suspend or revoke a licence at any time if the operator is in breach of any of the conditions, or is convicted of any offence which in our opinion makes him no longer a fit and proper person to hold the licence.
Return of licence to us
If an operator is given written notice that his licence has been suspended or revoked, he must return the licence to us immediately.
Variation of conditions
We can vary any condition of the licence at any time.
Taxi Licensing Team,
Number One Market Street,