Private hire operator's licence

Private Hire Operator's Licence

You need a private hire operator's licence to be able to accept bookings for private hire vehicles. If you are a vehicle proprietor, you may work for any existing operator providing you have a letter from them authorising you to do so. If you want to operate from premises which will be used as a booking office, you need planning permission from our Planning Department.

You need a certificate of public liability insurance if the public have access to the premises - for example, if there is a waiting room. You do not need this insurance if there is no public access or waiting facility, or where you operate your own vehicle from home.

Taxi licensing

Taxi Licensing Team,
Number One Market Street,

Public licensing register

View the public register of licences