Commercial waste collection

Your legal waste responsibilities

The law says you must take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe. Only authorised companies can collect, transport, recycle or dispose of commercial waste, and must do it safely.

If you break this law you can be fined an unlimited amount.

Who does the law apply to?

  • Anyone who produces, imports, keeps, stores, transports, treats or disposes of waste
  • Brokers who arrange these things 

Types of waste

  • Commercial waste is anything you own or your business produces that you want or need to get rid of
  • Controlled waste is household, commercial or industrial waste. This can be from a house, school, university, hospital, residential nursing home, shop, office, factory or any other trade or business. It may be solid or liquid, scrap metal or a scrap car. It does not have to be hazardous or toxic to be a controlled waste.

What do I do with my waste?

The GOV.UK website has a whole section on how you must manage your commercial waste including:

Further guidance and information is also available on the Right Waste Right Place website

Why not make it easy and let us take care of your commercial waste

Customer Services

Pendle Borough Council
Number One Market Street

Tel: 01282 661661