Housing benefit

Housing Benefit

You can claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you are a Pensioner
  • you live in temporary/homeless accommodation, supported accommodation or in a refuge

If you do not meet these criteria, you might be able to claim Universal Credit to help towards your housing costs.

Who cannot claim?

Even if you meet the criteria for Housing Benefit, you won't be able to claim if:

  • you have savings of over £16,000, unless you are aged 60 or over and getting the 'guarantee credit' of Pension Credit
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you're a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children)
  • you're an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

If you live with a partner or civil partner only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

When you apply, we will ask you for:

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of your income and capital
  • details of anyone else who lives with you

Apply for housing benefit

First of all, make an application for housing benefit, and upload any evidence to support your claim, for example, proof of identity, income, or rent. 

Help us deal with your claim quickly by:

  • answering all the questions on the claim form
  • giving us proof of all your details as soon as possible
  • replying straight away if we ask you for any more information
  • contacting us quickly if there is something that you do not understand

If you are unable to get out easily, contact us and let us know why you need a visit, and we may be able to send a Visiting Officer to your home.