Houses in multiple occupation

Licensing of houses in multiple occupation

You will be required by law to have a licence when:

  • your property is three or more storeys high AND
  • has five or more people in more than one household AND
  • shares amenities such as bathrooms, toilets and cooking facilities

You must complete and return an HMO licensing application form. The licence is valid for five years and costs £500. The licence cannot relate to more than one property and is not transferable.

We will give you a licence if we are satisfied that:

  • the proposed licence holder/s are 'fit and proper' people
  • the property and the tenancy are managed appropriately
  • the accommodation meets all minimum standards

Landlords and/or agents who don't apply for a licence can be fined up to £20,000, and given a criminal record. They may have to repay the rent for the time the property is unlicensed.