Register to vote

Electoral Register

To be able to vote, your name must be on the Electoral Register.

Register to vote on the GOV.UK website

The deadline to register to vote in the next election is Tuesday 16 April.

All registration applications must be done individually.

I've moved house or my details have changed

If you have changed address, name or nationality since you last registered you will need to register again.

How do I know if I'm on the electoral register?

You can check if you are on the register by emailing or by phone on 01282 661662.

The Annual Electoral Registration form

Every year, all householders are sent an Electoral Registration form which you have to complete.

Opting out of the Open Register

We keep two registers:

  • the electoral register
  • and the open register (also known as the edited register).

When you register to vote we will also ask you if you want your details excluded from the open register.

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote or credit score.

Email to ask us to remove your details from the open register. You will need to tell us your name and address and ask for your details to be excluded.

Registering to vote at more than one address

People are usually registered at one address only, which they consider to be their permanent home address. If you are living somewhere temporarily but have a permanent address you should register at the permanent address.

Registering to vote without an address

You can register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address.

To register you need to give an address where you would be living if it were not for your current situation or an address where you have lived in the past.


If you are absent from your normal residence indefinitely, or you do not have a home, you still have the right to register to vote. This is called a declaration of local connection.

We can give you the application forms and you can make a declaration of local connection. If your application is accepted, you will be registered for 12 months from the date the entry on the register first takes effect.

For further information about how to register see Electoral Commission can someone register to vote withour a fixed address? 

Anonymous registration

Anonymous registration is to help peope whose safety would be at risk (or the safety of other people at the same address) if they were listed on the electoral register. (For example, a person who has fled domestic abuse.)

Download the GOV.UK register to vote anonymously application.

Overseas voters

If you are an overseas voter you can register on GOV.UK Register to vote. You will need your passport number and the address of where you were last registered to vote in the UK. An overseas registration lasts for a year and will need to be renewed annually.

Learning disabilities and registering to vote

GOV.UK have produced a registering to vote easy to read guide for people with a learning disability.