Local land charges
What is a local land charge?
A local land charge is a legal restriction on a piece of land. It applies to all owners or occupiers of that piece of land.
These restrictions are not normally shown on your deeds. Your solicitor will carry out a Local Authority Search as part of your conveyancing when you buy or re-mortgage your property to find any of these charges.
What you need to know when buying a house
- Are there any planning conditions, which will affect my proposed use of the property?
- Is the house in a proposed renewal area?
- Will I have to pay to maintain the back street?
- Are there any proposals to build a new road nearby - will there be a flyover next to my bedroom window?
- Will the Council be introducing traffic calming, road restrictions or even residents parking?
- Is the extension built over a sewer?
- Will my view be spoilt by an industrial development at the end of the garden?
- Who maintains the footpath outside my front door?
- Is there a public footpath affecting the property?
- Are the trees protected by a Tree Preservation Order?
- Is the area designated as a Conservation Area?
- Are there any financial charges/debts for which I will become liable?