Hackney carriage/private hire driver's licence
- Notes to be read before making an application
- Application form
- Group Two medical form
- Private hire driver's licence conditions
- Guidelines to determine applications with convictions
- Knowledge test revision guide
A hackney carriage is more commonly called a taxi and can be hailed at a hackney carriage rank or in the street.
All hackney carriages in Pendle are red and have a meter fitted. The driver is not allowed to charge more than the fare shown on the meter.
We have a limit of 71 hackney carriage licences, all of which are currently issued and therefore no more licences can be issued at this time.
Before an application is considered, you must:
1. Complete our application form along with:
- one recent passport-sized photograph
- your current driving licence
- the completed medical certificate from your doctor
- the completed Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) form (this is not available to download but can be collected from our office at Number One Market Street, Nelson)
2. Pay the licence fee.
3. Satisfy us that:
- you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence
- you have passed the Council's knowledge test (part of this test will be on the licence conditions)
- you have, for the past twelve months, held a driver's licence (not being a provisional licence) authorising you to drive a motor car
When the form has been downloaded and completed, it must be returned in person together with the relevant documents and licence fee to us.
When a licence has been granted, you must at all times comply with these conditions and the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.
Taxi Licensing Team,
Number One Market Street,