Licensing enforcement

We have two staff who deal with licensing in the area, one enforcement officer and one administration officer.

We process and grant or refuse licences under the following pieces of legislation in addition to enforcing;

Licensing Act 2003

Alcohol, Regulated Entertainment and Late Night Refreshment.

This includes:

  • Premises licences for pubs, clubs, shops, supermarkets, hotels,  church halls, community centres and takeaways etc. (takeaways are classed under the Act as any premises that sell hot food and drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am),
  • Personal licences to sell alcohol,
  • Temporary Event Notices

Gambling Act 2005

Licences for betting shops, gaming machines, bingo halls, adult gaming centres and small society lotteries.

Local Government Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1982

Licensing of sex establishments and issuing street trading consents which includes the sale of vehicles on the highway.

We also issue licenses and grant permissions for house to house collections, street collections, street trading consents and can act on behalf of the Security Industry Authority (SIA) in relation to licences granted to door supervisors.

In addition to enforcement, the licensing section has also been responsible for several initiatives over the past four years. These include;

  • Alcoline - 24 hour reporting facility for Pendle residents,
  • Let's all Say No - Refusal books/shelf wobblers for off licences in relation to reducing under age sales and UV lights for Police in Pendle, 
  • UV lights for off licences - to detect fraudulent ID,
  • Drug detecting torches and drug wipes for licensees - to detect cocaine use in licensed premises, 
  • 'Inn at the Nick' - poster campaign highlighting sensible drinking,
  • Insurance cover for Pendle's three pubwatch schemes,
  • Armbands for Door Supervisors - distribution of fluorescent armbands for door supervisors,
  • Event Guidance leaflets - information for individuals/organisations wishing to hold outdoor events,
  • Safety in Numbers (in conjunction with Environmental Health) - Safety information booklets for pub and club patrons
  • Back to the Licensing homepage