Zoo licence

If you want to apply for a Zoo licence, you need to send us a letter teeling us that you intend to do so. 

The Department for Environmental and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has the Standards of Modern Zoo Practice

We work in close partnership with DEFRA on all aspects of zoo licensing.

Licensing zoos is a specialist field and the regulations are complex. If you are thinking of setting up a zoo, you should contact a specialist officer first for advice and guidance.

We can only consider an application for a zoo licence if:

  • we have been given at least two months notice of the intended application
  • details have been published in a local and national newspaper
  • a notice has been put at the site.

We have to consult:

  • the police
  • the local fire authority
  • the governing body of any national institute concerned with zoos
  • any adjoining authority if the zoo overlaps the area of that authority
  • anybody who wants to object on grounds of alleged harmful effect on the health or safety of anyone living in the area

We also have to arrange an inspection by a consultant inspector, from a list nominated by the Secretary of State.

Customer Services

Pendle Borough Council
Number One Market Street

Tel: 01282 661661