Alcohol and entertainment licence

Different kinds of alcohol and entertainment licence

Premises Licence

If you sell or supply alcohol, hot drinks, or food, between the hours of 11pm and 5am, or you provide regulated entertainment, you need to have a Premises Licence.

What is regulated entertainment?

Regulated entertainment is entertainment provided in the presence of an audience, for the purpose of entertaining that audience. Some examples are:

  • the performance of a play
  • the showing of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance
  • entertainment of a similar description (such as a circus)

The sale or supply of alcohol must also be carried out or authorised by someone who holds a Personal Licence.

Applying for a Premises Licence

The applicant for a Premises Licence must send the application form and fee to us, and send copies of the application form to the responsible authorities (the police, fire authority and certain council services).

The application must include a plan of the premises and an operating schedule describing the proposed activities. The applicant must advertise the application in the local press and on notices displayed at the premises for a period of 28 days.

Premises licences last indefinitely and do not need to be renewed, but can lapse in certain situations such as:

  • the death or dissolution of the licence holder
  • bankruptcy
  • incapacity
  • losing the right to work in the UK

There is however an annual fee. Similar provisions apply for clubs.

Personal Licence

To obtain a Personal Licence, you must:

  • be over 18
  • live in the borough
  • have an approved qualification
  • provide a criminal record check
  • supply proof of your right to work in the UK

Provided these requirements are met, you will be issued with a licence.

Personal Licences last indefinitely, but will no longer be valid if you lose the right to work in the UK.  Although you can only obtain a licence from the local authority in the area you live, it is valid anywhere in the country.

The fee for a Personal Licence is £37. Cheques should be made payable to Borough of Pendle.

Public licensing register

View the public register of licences