Contaminated land

We are responsible for managing contaminated land in Pendle.

We do risk assessments on land and then we prioritise any work necessary depending on:

  • what the land was used for before
  • any work that has been done to clean the land in the past
  • what the land is used for now
  • how likely it is that people will be affected by any pollution on the land

When land is developed through the planning process, Environmental Health Services assess any planning applications and request that planning conditions are applied where appropriate. This means that developers will have to do work to make sure the land is suitable for the proposed use.

Some developers sell properties before the contaminated land condition has been fulfilled, so if you are buying a new property ask your solicitor to check that any Contaminated Land Planning Condition has been discharged before you buy.

If you are buying a house, you can have an Environmental Search done. Your solicitor will write to us and ask for information on previous land use for your property and the surrounding area. We charge a fee for this information, usually £50-£100.

For information please contact us.

Register of contaminated land

We are required to maintain a public register of contaminated land in Pendle, in accordance with:

  • Part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act (EPA) 1990;
  • and the Contaminated Land (England) Regulations 2006.

What information is on the register?

The register is a permanent record of:

  • land that is, or has been classed as, a Special Site
  • any actions taken or proposed to help improve the land
  • any notices, declarations and statements

When does a site go on to the register?

A site only appears on the register once one of the specified documents defined in the regulations, has been recorded by us. 

How often is the register updated?

We have a statutory duty to inspect Pendle and identify potential contaminated land, as defined by Part IIA. The register is under constant review and we try to keep it as up to date as possible.

The register

This table lists the areas of land in Pendle that are part of the public register.

Site Site Address Grid Reference
Green Works Green Works, Knotts Lane, Colne, Lancashire, BB8 8AE E388, 347: N439, 586

Customer Services

Pendle Borough Council
Number One Market Street

Tel: 01282 661661