Household Support Fund

DWP department for work and pensions logo

The Household Support Fund (HSF) is provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to support those most in need with food, energy, or water bills, or wider essentials where appropriate.

The third round of Household Support Fund Grant is now closed. Any vouchers issued as part of the scheme have now expired.

Household Support Fund 4

Up to March 2024, we are offering support payments in three ways:

Helping low income households with energy and food costs

At the end of October we sent a letter with a voucher for £75 to households that received Council Tax Support at that time. 

The voucher can be exchanged for cash at the Post Office. You can ask somebody else to collect the cash for you, as long as you give them the identification needed.

Information on how to get the money will be on the letter we send to you. 

The vouchers are only valid for three months and expire in January.

Find out what support is available to help with the cost of living on the GOV.UK website.

Emergency help

If you don't qualify for a direct Household Support Fund payment, from November we will have a limited fund that may be able to provide emergency help with fuel bills, prepayment fuel meter top ups or essential household items.

If the available money is spent before 31 March 2024 the scheme may stop.

This scheme is being managed by Citizens Advice East Lancashire. Apply at or call 0808 278 7975 or visit a drop-in session.


If you are in need of emergency food, or low cost food you can access a range of foodbanks and community food organisations for food support. We have allocated some of the Household Support Funding to some organisations to help households access food. This support will be available from July 2023.