Local housing allowance

Local Housing Allowance is used to work out how much housing benefit you can get if you rent your home from a private landlord.

You'll receive an allowance based on the area you live in and the number of occupiers in your property.

Rates are based on the number of bedrooms in your home, up to a maximum of four. It depends on how many bedrooms you need to accommodate your household, not how much rent you pay.

Who is not affected?

Local housing allowance doesn't affect all tenancies, and you won't be affected if:

  • you rent your accommodation from Housing Pendle or another housing association
  • you have a shared ownership home
  • your tenancy is excluded from current rent restrictions
  • your tenancy includes the provision of care, support or supervision and is provided by local authorities, social landlords, charities or voluntary organisations
  • your tenancy includes substantial board and attendance, such as hotel accommodation
  • you live in a caravan, mobile home or houseboat

Who is not counted as part of the household?

  • foster children
  • an estranged partner who visits regularly
  • children who stay for weekends only (e.g. when a couple have separated)

How many bedrooms are allowed?

  • one for each adult couple
  • one for any other adult aged 16 or over
  • one for any two children under 16 of the same sex
  • one for any two children under 10 irrespective of gender
  • one for any other child

For single tenants, there is a shared room rate.

In most cases, payments will be made to the tenant, rather than the landlord, and it is their responsibility to pay the rent to the landlord.

Customer Services

Pendle Borough Council
Number One Market Street

Tel: 01282 661661