Compliments and complaints

How to make a complaint

Making a Complaint

This explains what you can do if you think that we have failed:

  • to provide a service
  • to be courteous in our standard of work
  • to be courteous in our administration procedures
  • to adhere to rules and regulations
  • to provide you with the correct information
  • to treat you fairly

What should I do if I am unhappy with one of your services?

In most cases we should be able to sort out a problem or complaint quickly.  If you have a problem with a service you should first of all contact the service area that deals with the service. It may be possible for an officer to deal with your complaint there and then or to arrange action to resolve the problem.

If your problem has not been resolved or you are unhappy with something that we have done or failed to do, you should write to the relevant manager and tell them about the problem.

You can use our electronic Corporate Complaint/Compliments Form

When making a complaint please give us as much information about the problem as possible. Try to tell us clearly and exactly what the problem is, including what we did wrong or did not do, how you have been affected by this and what you think that we should do to put things right.

The manager will try and sort out any mistake or misunderstanding straight away.

If the problem will take longer to sort out you will be sent an acknowledgement within 2 working days of you contacting us and the manager will respond to your complaint in full within 15 working days.

If the complaint takes more than 15 working days to resolve, the manager will keep in touch with you and tell you what is happening. The manager will also let you know if you have any alternative rights of appeal.

What can I expect?

We will consider each complaint on its own merits.

We will act and respond in the most appropriate way. This may take the form of an apology, a full explanation about what happened, a remedy, information about the service and details about what to do if you are still not satisfied.

What if I am still not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the manager's reply or the action that has been taken, you can write to our Corporate Director and ask him to deal with the matter.

You should explain why you are not happy with the response that you have received or the action that has been taken. A senior officer will investigate your complaint thoroughly and objectively.

You will get a reply within 15 working days. If the complaint takes more than 15 working days to deal with you will be told what is happening.

Still not satisfied?

If you are still not satisfied with the action we have taken, you can send a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman, or ask a councillor to do so on your behalf.

Complaining about the behaviour of a Councillor

Complaints about Councillors are dealt with differently: