Skip to content
You are here: Home | Latest News | News Releases | Look out for your poll card

Latest News

Look out for your poll card

Published: Monday, 25th March 2019

Bring ID

Bring ID

Poll cards are being delivered to registered voters this week and Pendle Council is urging you to look out for them.

On Thursday 2 May elections will be held across Pendle to elect borough, parish and town councillors.

And this year anyone who comes to the polling stations to vote in person or on behalf of someone else will have to show an approved form of photo ID.

  • Passport (UK, EU or Commonwealth)
  • UK, EU or Crown Dependency Photocard Driving Licence (including provisional)
  • European Economic Area Identity Card
  • UK Biometric Immigration Document
  • PASS Identity Card (national proof of age scheme)
  • Ministry of Defence Identity Card
  • Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
  • Blue Badge Scheme Photocard Parking Permit
  • Concessionary travel pass funded by government such as a railcard or bus pass
  • Oyster 60+ pass

Even if the photo ID has expired, or has the wrong address on it, it can still be used. The ID just has to have a photo that looks like the voter.

Those who don’t have one of the approved forms of photo ID can apply for a free Local Electoral Card.

  • Online - complete or download a form - 
  • In person - collect and complete a form from Nelson Town Hall
  • By telephone or email  - request a form from the Elections Team who will post it to you. Call 01282 661201 or email

Alternatively voters who can’t make it to a polling station on 2 May, or don’t have photo ID, can apply for a postal or proxy vote as normal.

Philip Mousdale, Pendle Council’s Returning Officer, said: “This year we’re taking part in a government pilot which means you’ll need to show photo ID if you’re voting in person.

“Please take time to read the information on your poll cards. The types of approved photo ID are clearly stated as well as what to do if you don’t have any appropriate photo ID.”

If your name isn’t included on the register, you won’t receive a poll card.

You have until midnight on 12 April to apply to register to vote. It takes just five minutes can be done online at

Philip added: “If you were registered to vote in the last election and your details have not changed, you’ll still be registered to vote.

“If you’ve turned 18, or if you have moved home recently, it’s particularly important that you act to ensure that you are registered.”

You can check the Electoral Register in Number One Market Street, Nelson or view it at Nelson, Colne and Barnoldswick libraries.

Alternatively, call the elections office on (01282) 661662 and staff in our Elections Team will check it for you.

There’s more information about voter ID on Pendle Council’s website -

Alternatively you can call the elections team on 01282 661201 or email