Tell us once

When someone dies, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them.

First, their death needs to be registered with the registrar. But once that's done, several other organisations - including government departments and local council services - may have to be contacted and given the same information.

We're working with Lancashire County Council to provide a new service which we hope will make things easier.

This new service means that you can just tell us - once - and we will help you give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions. They can let the other organisations know on your behalf.

We can contact the following organisations for you if we need to:

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • The Pension Service
  • Disability and Carers Service
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Tax Credits
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Benefit Office

We can also contact the following:

  • Council housing
  • Council Tax
  • Libraries
  • Blue badges
  • Adult social care
  • Children's social care
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Electoral services
  • The DVLA

When you register a death with the registrar, they will tell you about our service and give you a unique reference number.

There are two different ways you can use the service:

By Telephone

If you would like to speak to someone on the phone, please call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 8.00pm. It is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers, may charge you.

If you don't speak English, call us on 0800 085 7308 and one of our advisers and an interpreter will call you back and help you.

In Person

If you would like to talk to an advisor, contact us.

Check Nelson car parks

We want to make sure we give the right information to any organisations we contact. So we will need the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their death certificate

We may also ask you for information about:

  • Their next of kin
  • Any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • Anybody who is getting Child Benefit on their behalf
  • The person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the agreement of the people listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

If you are the next of kin, you may be entitled to an increase in benefits, so please have your own National Insurance number to hand when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased's estate, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on their behalf.

Please remember that it is still your responsibility to make sure any organisation that pays you a benefit has correct and up-to-date information about your own circumstances.