Voter ID

We are one of ten councils taking part in a Voter ID pilot.

On Thursday 2 May elections will be held across Pendle to elect borough, parish and town councillors.

Before being given your ballot paper, you will be asked to provide an approved form of photo ID at your polling station. You have to provide photo ID for yourself, even if you’re voting on behalf of someone as a proxy voter. 

Remember, you need to make sure you are on the electoral register.

If you're voting in person, or on behalf of someone else as a proxy voter, you can use these forms of identification:

  • Passport (UK, EU or Commonwealth)
  • UK, EU or Crown Dependency Photocard Driving Licence (including provisional)
  • European Economic Area Identity Card
  • UK Biometric Immigration Document
  • PASS Identity Card (national proof of age scheme)
  • Ministry of Defence Identity Card
  • Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
  • Blue Badge Scheme Photocard Parking Permit
  • Concessionary travel pass funded by government such as a railcard or bus pass
  • Oyster 60+ pass

You will need to produce the original document - you can't show us a photocopy or a copy of ID on your phone or other mobile device.

You can still use approved photo ID even if it has expired, or has the wrong address on it. The ID just has to have a photo that looks like you.

I don't have photo ID

Don't worry, you'll still be able to vote. From mid-March 2019 you will be able to apply for a free Local Electoral Card. Alternatively, you can apply for a postal vote.

Postal vote checks

You do not need photo ID to vote by post. However, we will be carrying out random checks to ensure that postal voters applied and voted themselves and there was no fraud or undue pressure put on them.