Housing needs, options and advice


We try to prevent homelessness where possible. If it is not possible to prevent your homelessness, you can contact us to apply as homeless.

We'll carry out an assessment to see if we can help you, and if you are eligible for any assistance.

Are you homeless or threatened with homelessness?

To be officially classed as homeless, you should have "no accommodation in England, Wales and Scotland or elsewhere in the world that they can reasonably occupy together with anyone else who lives with them or is reasonably expected to reside with them."

Are you in priority need?

We will consider whether you have a priority need for accommodation.

Are you intentionally homeless?

We do not have a duty to provide permanent housing if you have left your accommodation or been forced to leave accommodation deliberately, or as a result of an omission by yourself where this accommodation would otherwise have been available for you.

Do you have a local connection?

We will consider whether you have a local connection to Pendle.

We will also need to see proof of your circumstances.

To speed up this process, we might ask you to provide this proof as you will often have easier access to this information than us.

If you come to seek housing advice, housing options or to make a homeless application it would be useful for you to bring:

  • information to show why you need some advice or may be threatened with homelessness e.g: notice from your landlord, any court papers you have received, or your tenancy agreement
  • contact details for your landlord
  • a letter from family or friends if you have been asked to leave their accommodation
  • contact details of any agency that knows about your homelessness and if possible a supporting letter e.g. social services, police, hospital, probation or prison
  • evidence of identity for yourself and everyone you want housed with you

You should bring everything from this list that applies to you and your household:

  • full birth certificate
  • passport
  • home office papers
  • national identity card from any European Economic Area (EEA) country

We might ask you to bring evidence of your income and that of your household (this means money earned, all benefits received, and any other financial support you are receiving). You will also need to bring National Insurance numbers for everyone who has them.

If anyone is pregnant bring evidence of pregnancy such as hospital antenatal papers, Mat B1 or an NHS doctor's letter. If you have a physical or mental health problem or a disability bring information about your condition and any treatment you receive. Bring details of your hospital consultant and family doctor (GP).

If you are at risk of violence bring any police crime reference numbers or contact details of anyone helping or supporting you.

Bring contact details or information from agencies supporting or working with you such as social services, probation, support agencies for drug or alcohol misuse, counsellors, women's aid etc.

If you need help to get this information, let us know.

When we have done your assessment, we will write to you to tell you whether or not we accept you as homeless. If not, we will explain why and offer you the right to a review of our decision if you think it is wrong. Even if we don't accept you as homeless, we will still help you with alternative housing options.

If you need an interpreter we will arrange for one to help with your interview.