Housing needs, options and advice
Bond guarantee scheme
If you want to rent a property in the private sector, and you can’t afford the bond, you may be eligible for the bond guarantee scheme.
We will guarantee your landlord a sum of up to £200 against any loss, damage or theft.
Do I qualify?
- be aged 18 or over
- be on a low income or receiving benefits/unable to raise a sufficient bond
- be homeless or threatened with homelessness
- have lived in Pendle for the last 6 months
- be able to afford the rent on the property you wish to use the bond guarantee for
The property must be fairly local so that we can liaise with the landlord.
We might not offer you a bond if:
- your landlord or letting agent is a relative
- you’ve had a bond guarantee before which we’ve paid out on
- you’ve deliberately made yourself homeless to benefit from the scheme
- you’ve signed for a property before we’ve made a decision about your application
Some landlords might not accept the bond guarantee on its own. If this is the case, you might be able to agree to pay a reduced bond yourself, in addition to our bond guarantee.
If you can’t find a landlord willing to take the guarantee, we might be able to help you look for a property.
The guarantee lasts for six months. One month before the end of the guarantee, we will ask the landlord if they want to renew it. It can only be renewed once, for another six months. A renewed guarantee will probably be for a lower amount, as it’s expected that you will have saved some money by then.
The scheme only provides for the bond. We cannot make any extra payments to cover rent in advance, or administration charges. Check our benefits pages for any other financial help you may qualify for.