Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

Band reductions for disabled living

Your bill may be reduced if a permanently disabled person (whether an adult or child) lives in the property.

There must be certain features which are essential or of major importance to the well being of the disabled person: 

  • A room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet which is used mainly by the disabled person
  • An additional bathroom or kitchen for the use of the disabled person
  • Extra space inside the dwelling for the use of a wheelchair

We have to decide whether the person with the disability would find it impossible or extremely difficult to live in the property, or whether their health would suffer, or the disability become more severe, if the extra feature were not available in the property.

To qualify for a reduction, the extra room doesn't have to be specially built. It can be an existing room used specifically for the person with the disability.

If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the valuation band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list. For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to that for a band C dwelling.

This will not affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list. In this example, it would still be shown as band D on the valuation list. If your home is in band A (the lowest Council Tax band) a reduction of 1/9 of the band D Council Tax would apply.

Council Tax