Energy Bills - £150 Council Tax Rebate

As part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs, a Council Tax Rebate was introduced for qualifying households in council tax bands A – D.

The Rebate is a payment of £150 per household, regardless of the number of occupants or council taxpayers named on the bill.

Update about Council Tax Rebate Payments – 14 July 

Since April, we have made 31,351 (£4.7m) payments to eligible customers, and credited 4,519 council tax accounts with £150. 

Claiming an energy refund if your Council Tax account is credited 

If the payment is credited to your council tax account, but you would rather have the money directly, you can claim a refund. 

You must wait until you have had the letter confirming that the £150 has been credited to your account. 

Once you've received that letter, then complete the Council Tax refund form 

There is no deadline to apply for a refund. Refunds can take up to 28 days to process. 

Information about which households qualify for £150 rebate

The Council Tax Rebate will be paid to the liable council tax payer (or an occupant where the property is exempt) where the property occupied meets the following conditions on 1st April 2022.

  • The property is valued in council tax bands A – D. Your council tax band is shown on your bill or GOV.UK helps you find out which band your home is in. Just put your postcode into their online tool to find the band for your home. Find your Council Tax band with GOV.UK..
  • The property is occupied as someone’s only or main home.
  • It is a chargeable dwelling, or in exemption classes:
    • N (occupied only by full-time students), where the students are liable for payment of council tax
    • S (occupied only by persons under the age of 18),
    • U (occupied only by persons with a severe mental impairment) or
    • W (an annex to a property occupied by the dependant relative of the person living in the main property). 

Where the liable council tax payer does not occupy the property, they will not be eligible. This means that if you are a tenant of a property where the landlord is liable for the council tax bill a council tax rebate cannot be paid. However, you may be eligible for a discretionary payment if you pay energy bills directly and your circumstances meet the criteria for the discretionary scheme.

Properties that have no permanent resident such as unoccupied properties or second homes will not be eligible. 

Energy Rebate Discretionary fund

Our Energy Rebate Discretionary Scheme was agreed at the Policy and Resources Committee meeting on Thursday 21 July. Our Scheme is in line with what other councils are doing locally and nationally. It has been designed to make sure we help those most in need. 

Discretionary Fund payments

We will make payments as follows:

  • a payment of £150 to all households in bands E to H that were receiving Council Tax Support on 1 April 2022
  • a credit top up of £28 to the Council Tax accounts of all households in bands A to D that were receiving Council Tax Support on 1 April 2022

The majority of households in Council Tax bands E to H will not receive any Government support via this Scheme. 

There is no further provision for support from the Government's Energy Rebate Scheme.

More information

Further details about the £150 Utility Energy Rebate, as well as other ways the government is helping with rising energy costs, are available on the GOV.UK website.

Categories in Council Tax

Business Support and Advice