Our Waste Collection Policy

Waste Collection Policy Glossary of Terms

What is Alternate Week Collection (AWC)?

AWC is the system of collecting waste used by most councils in the UK. Recycling is collected one week and non-recyclable waste is collected the next week.

What is Bulky Waste?

Bulky household waste is defined in the Controlled Waste Regulations 2012 as:

  • any article which exceeds 25kg in weight
  • or any article of waste which does not fit or cannot be fitted into a receptacle provided in accordance with section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 
  • or where no such receptacle is provided, a cylindrical container 750mm in diameter and 1m in length

We are allowed to charge to collect this waste, but we are not allowed to charge to dispose of it.

What is Clinical Waste?

Clinical waste can be either:

  • waste that is produced in healthcare or similar activities that poses a risk of infection
  • or waste that may be hazardous as defined in the Controlled Waste Regulations 2012

It does not include non-hazardous and non-infectious sanitary waste such as disposable nappies or incontinence pads.

What is Commercial Waste?

Commercial Waste is classified so because of where it comes from rather than what type of waste it is. Generally it is waste from premises that are used for trade or business. We have a duty to arrange for the collection of commercial waste if we are asked to do so by the trades or businesses. There are charges for the collection and disposal of commercial waste.

What is a Cost Sharing Agreement?

This is an agreement that we had up until 31 March 2018 with Lancashire County Council. It provided a property based payment for each household on the Alternate Week Collection system. It included a number of conditions for how we collect waste for recycling and disposal. It was a key part in how we developed our current collection service.

What is Household Waste?

Like Commercial Waste, Household Waste is classified because of where it comes from. It is generally from domestic premises which are used to provide living accommodation. In other words, premises that pay council tax rather than business rates. We have a duty to collect household waste. Most of the time we do this for free, but there are some exceptions such as garden waste. It is up to us to decide if we are going to charge. We don't currently charge for bulky or clinical waste.

What is a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)?

Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) are provided by Lancashire County Council) because of obligations they have under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 51(1b).

Over the years, the HWRCs have increased their range of recycling banks so that they now recycle more waste than they send for disposal.

What is Industrial Waste?

Industrial waste is classified because of where it comes from rather than what type of waste it is. It is generally from factories, although it does include waste from construction or demolition works. Waste from contruction or demolition works can include work done in the home, for example, builders' rubble. We don't have a duty to collect industrial waste – it is up to us whether we do, and we can charge for collecting and disposing of it. 

Clinical waste that comes from commercial premises  such as tattoo/body piercing shops, nursing homes (not residential homes), and hospitals etc. is also classified as industrial waste. Currently, we charge for the collection of industrial waste. 

What is the Waste Collection Authority (WCA)?

The Waste Collection Authority (WCA) is the council with the legal responsibility to collect household (and other) waste i.e. us! 

What is the Waste Disposal Authority (WCA)?

The Waste Disposal Authority (WCA) is the council with the legal responsibility to dispose of  waste. In Pendle, this is Lancashire County Council. 


We use the term 'bins' throughout the policy. Where we do, this refers to any sort of container used to collect your waste.

Categories in Refuse and recycling