COVID-19 Support for Businesses
Is your business COVID-19 Secure?
Shops in England selling non-essential goods can re-open from Monday 15 June. High street retailers and department stores, including book shops, electronics retailers, tailors, auction houses, photography studios, indoor markets, and shops selling clothes, shoes and toys, will be allowed to open their doors again provided they follow the guidelines set out by the government. As long as your business has put measures in place to become COVID Secure you can start trading from Monday 15 June.
We recognise that businesses have had a tough time and are keen to reopen as soon as possible. The last thing we want is for you to have to close again because you haven’t put the right measures in place. This guidance should help you.
What steps do I need to take?
To be COVID-19 Secure you must assess the transmission risks of COVID-19 within your business, following these 5 steps:
- Work from home, if you can
- Carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment, whilst consulting staff and Trade Unions
- Maintain 2 metres distancing, wherever possible
- Where people cannot be 2 metres apart, manage transmission risk
- Reinforce cleaning processes
Is your business Covid Secure?
To help you to meet these 5 steps and become COVID-19 Secure we’ve produced a COVID-19 Secure risk assessment template. The template provides a number of practical steps.
You’ll need to consider:
- social distancing outside, inside and behind the scenes
- actions to take where social distances can’t be achieved
- workstations, customer services, returns, fitting rooms, meetings, staff facilities and checkouts
- keeping the workplace clean, frequency, hygiene, use of sanitsers
- the use of Personal Protective Equipment
- handling goods and merchandising
- deliveries and work vehicles
Once you’ve completed the risk assessment, you must record your findings and implement the necessary actions. You’re then considered to be meeting the Government’s legal requirements and are Covid-19 Secure.
You can download a COVID Secure poster to display on your premises.
This will provide confidence and reassurance to staff, customers and contractors that you are controlling the risk of spreading coronavirus.
Advice for businesses who are re-opening
We have put together some links to guidance for businesses who are re-opening.