You are here: Home | Latest News | News Releases | Decision on changes to refuse and recycling collections

Latest News

Decision on changes to refuse and recycling collections

Published: Friday, 22nd December 2017

Recycling collections in Pendle will change to four weekly instead of fortnightly from 1st April 2018 as this week’s Full Council on Thursday 21st December has agreed to the proposals.

The decision follows last week’s Executive meeting where councillors agreed to put forward this recommendation to Full Council in a bid to save around £190,000.

Councillor Mohammed Iqbal, Leader of Pendle Council said:

“Well over 2,200 people took part in our survey to give their views on which of the proposals would be most acceptable to them.

“Over half – 56% -  strongly agreed or agreed that keeping the two weekly grey bin refuse collections would be the best option for them.

“And they accepted the proposal to change our brown bin and paper and card recycling collections to every four weeks as being the best option to make the savings.”

Councillor David Clegg who leads on refuse and recycling services said:
“We’d like to thank everyone who’s shared their views to help us make these difficult decisions – we’ve had a huge response.”

Councillor Iqbal set out the reasons for the coming changes, explaining:
 “We have to save money on services due to ongoing reductions in our funding from the government which have totalled £7 million since 2010.

“Coupled with the loss of Lancashire County Council’s annual subsidy of £760,000 towards our waste and recycling service from 1st April, we don’t have the option to do nothing,” he stated.


Councillor Iqbal added:

“Since 2010 we’ve had to reduce our spending by over £8 million and we have worked very hard to make savings which have the least impact on local people and local services.

“But we’re now forced to make some significant savings on Pendle’s refuse and recycling collections,” he said.