Pendle Borough Council

Do I need planning permission?

Types of planning permission

View pages in this section

This page will help you to find out if you need planning permission for the work you are proposing to do.

Planning Permission or Building Control?

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are different.

Planning for householders

The Planning Portal's Visual Guide for Householders can give you some general advice on whether you need planning permission or not. However, you should be aware that it does not give specific advice relating to individual properties.

To find out whether you need planning permission you can fill in the form below:

As from 1st January 2012 we have introduced a new system of charges for pre-application advice and general enquiries. For householder developments there is a fee of £35.00 which should be submitted along with your householder permitted development enquiry form. 

Planning for other developments

Pre-application advice

At Pendle we encourage people to discuss their proposals with us before submitting a planning application.

We have written a Guide to the Development Management Process, which we hope will give you a better understanding and answer any questions you may have.

As from 1st January 2012 we have introduced a new system of charges for pre-application advice. If your proposal is on a large scale please refer to the advice note we have produced which explains the new charging system, sets out the charges and advises how they are payable. For all other developments including householder proposals please see our current schedule of charges.

The Planning Portal provides information on all types of non-householder development. This covers a wide variety of developments, for example, taxi firms, new houses, offices and shops, and agricultural development. A range of guides are available:

To find out whether you need planning permission you can fill in one of the forms below:

Planning for Renewable Energy

Facts and guidance for small scale renewable energy projects including the requirement for planning permission are now available.

Turbine Pre-Application Engagement

Pre-Application Guidance for Wind Turbine Applications

Coal Authority Information

The Coal Authority has launched a new interactive map viewer on its website for the public, developers and interested parties to see more information in relation to coal mining.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do you have a question? Check out our FAQs and see if it's been asked before: Frequently Asked Questions

The Planning Portal also has a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions to planning queries

Contact us

Contact the Development Management Section if you are in doubt about whether you require planning permission.

Even if you do not need planning permission you may need Building Regulations Approval. Visit for more information.

Was this information helpful?

Green Flag Award Liberata Positive About Disabled People Investors In People ERDF Pendle Borough Council