Flooding incidents in Pendle

Flood Support

Boxing Day floods - financial support for households and businesses affected by flooding in Pendle

The period over last Christmas was extremely difficult for some of our residents and businesses due to flooding caused by Storm Eva on Boxing Day. 

We have been working hard to help clean up those areas affected and to provide on-going assistance where it has been needed most. We want to do what we can to help those affected get back to some sort of normality.

We know that some people will need financial support to do this.  Financial support is available and we're asking people to provide their details if they have had a property flooded in the Pendle area over the Christmas 2015 period.  

Contact us if you have been affected

The first thing to do is contact us on floodsupport@pendle.gov.uk  so that we have your correct details. We will need:

  • Name (preferably of the person to which the council tax/business rates bill is sent) 
  • Address of flooded property (and any alternative address for correspondence)
  • Council Tax or Business Rates account reference (if available)
  • Mobile and landline telephone numbers
  • E-mail address (if applicable)

If you haven’t got an email account, ring us on 01282 661661. Phone lines are open daily from 8.45am to 4pm.

Support for Residents

The financial support available for residents is:  

  • A £500 flood scheme payment (empty or second homes are excluded from this scheme). If you rent your property it will be paid to you, either directly by the Council or via your landlord. If you think you're entitled to the £500 payment, but you haven't received it by Friday 8 January, read details of the Lancashire Household Flood Payment Scheme and then complete our online Flood Grant Claim Form. You can download a PDF version of the Flood Grant Claim form too
  • Temporary council tax relief for the period that your home remains unoccupied or partly unoccupied (up to a maximum of 12 months). Second homes are not eligible for this relief. Details of our Council Tax Flooding Relief Scheme
  • Local Discretionary relief fund - this is administered by the Community Foundation for Lancashire and is for people with specific need e.g. people who are not insured. Full details are on the Lancashire Flood Recovery Fund website
  • Householders who need assistance with the collection of flood damaged furniture or equipment should email waste.services@pendle.gov.uk  or phone the Waste Services helpline on 01282 661743 to arrange a collection
  • You can also apply for a Flood Resilience Grant to fund resilience or resistance measures - see information below
  • United Utilities and Yorkshire Water are suspending water and wastewater bills for customers who have had to move out of their home or close their business due to flooding

Support for Businesses

The financial support available for business is: 

  • Temporary business rate relief (for up to three months) – this is available for the full three months even if your business re-opens sooner. Details of our Business Rates Flooding Relief Scheme. To apply, complete our Business Rates Flood Relief form
  • Business support – this is available to get you trading successfully again as quickly as possible. You can apply for up to £2,500 depending on the size of your business – full details of this scheme and how to apply are available on the Boost Business Lancashire website

For more information and support about assistance available to businesses, please contact Paul Collins on paul.collins@pendle.gov.uk or 01282 661677.

Flood resilience grant for homes and businesses 

Grants of up to £5,000 are available to homeowners and businesses that have been flooded as a result of Storm Eva to help fund additional flood resilience or resistance measures for their properties. 

The grant will help those who have been flooded to better prepare their homes for future flood events, both to prevent flood water from entering the property and to speed the recovery if it does.

The owners of the following premises are eligible for the scheme:

  • Residential properties - where habitable internal areas of your property have been damaged by flooding by Storm Eva and you have received a £500 flood grant payment from us
  • Business properties - (including social enterprise and charitable organisation properties) where internal areas of the premise which are critical to the day to day operations (i.e. not storage sheds or warehouses) have been damaged by Storm Eva

If you think you are eligible, complete a grant application form. If you need more information on this grant, email floodsupport@pendle.gov.uk  or phone our Customer Services Team on 01282 661661.

Grants are only to fund measures which improve the property’s resilience or resistance to flooding, over and above repairs that would normally be covered by insurance. A grant application form should be submitted and approved in advance of committing expenditure. If applications are retrospective there is a risk to you  that costs may not be eligible.

There is useful advice on the Gov.Uk website, but the best starting point for those who are new to understanding flood risk is the National Flood Forum website. It sets out a step-by-step process for householders and links to a wide range of other sources of information, including the Blue Pages, which list a range of flood products and service providers.  

The most appropriate work will vary from house to house, so we would recommend that you consider undertaking a professional survey of your premises to identify flood risks. Examples of the type of work that might be recommended include air-brick covers, re-pointing external walls with water resistant mortar, door guards and toilet pan seals.

Support for Farmers

Farming Recovery Grants of up to £20,000 are available via Defra to help restore soils, rebuild tracks and repair flood channels. 

Eligible farmers in Lancashire and Yorkshire who were impacted by Storm Eva, which hit over Christmas and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December) can apply.  The deadline for applications is 1 April 2016.

Details of how to apply are on the Farming Recovery Grant pages on the Gov.UK website.

If you are a farmer whose land has been flooded and you're experiencing extreme hardship, contact the Rural Payments Agency on 03000 200 301 as soon as possible. You will be able to access targeted support.

Lancashire County Council - Care and Urgent Needs Support Scheme

The County Council has a scheme that provides support for those most vulnerable in communities. Some residents impacted by flooding may become eligible for support from the scheme. The scheme provides food parcels, electricity vouchers, recycled furniture etc. Details of the scheme are on Lancashire County Council's Care and Urgent Needs Support Scheme pages

What is meant by a ‘flooded property’? 

To clarify what is considered a flooded property – it is one where it has flooded internally i.e. water has entered the property and includes: 

  • Basements and below ground level floors
  • Garages (if included in the fabric of the building) – not if they are adjacent or separate from the main buildings
  • Occupied caravans and park homes  

For the purposes of this financial support the flooding must have occurred as a result of Storm Eva on Boxing Day, 26th December 2015.  

We are determined to help you access the funding as soon as possible and will get back in touch with you promptly.

Environment Agency Floodline

The Environment Agency are providing an extended 24 hour floodline service on 0345 988 1188. They can provide you with details of support available from the government, and can sign-post you to the relevant support.

Flooding Advice

There's a useful Flooding Advice leaflet available, with general advice about staying safe in your home if you have been flooded.