In 2003 Pendle was awarded the status of 'Fairtrade borough' - the first borough in the UK to receive this accreditation. This means that the following criteria have been met:
- We have passed a resolution supporting Fairtrade, and serve Fairtrade coffee and tea at our meetings and in offices and canteens
- A range of Fairtrade products are readily available in Pendle's shops and served in local cafés and catering establishments (targets are set in relation to population)
- Fairtrade products are used by a number of local work places (estate agents, hairdressers etc) and community organisations (churches, schools etc)
- We have attracted popular support for the campaign
- A local Fairtrade steering group has been convened to ensure continued commitment to Fairtrade Town or Area status
In 2014 we were reaccredited, which means that we have continued to uphold a high standard of support for the Fairtrade movement.
How can you help?
You can help the Fairtrade movement too, by selecting products with the FAIRTRADE Mark printed on them. Choose Fairtrade in the shops. Ask for Fairtrade in cafes and restaurants. Switch to Fairtrade at work.
In Pendle, many local businesses serve and sell Fairtrade products.
The Fairtrade Foundation is the independent non-profit organisation that licenses use of the FAIRTRADE Mark on products in the UK in accordance with internationally agreed Fairtrade standards.