Pendle Borough Council

Housing Advice for Older People

Sheltered and Supported Housing

View pages in this section

There are a number of sheltered housing schemes in Pendle. These are ideal for older people who wish to live independently, in comfort and security with the opportunity to socialise and get involved with leisure activities when they choose.

The accommodation is self-contained with one or two bedrooms and a lounge, or a bed-sitting room, kitchen and bathroom facilities. Most properties have access to a Community Support Visitor or scheme manager (though not necessarily living at the scheme) to provide support to residents where required. For added peace of mind, there is a 24 hour alarm service that enables residents to summon help in an emergency. This is monitored by the landlords contact centre.

Who provides the accommodation?

Sheltered accommodation in Pendle is managed by a number of Registered Providers.

B-with-us advertise the majority of sheltered scheme vacancies in Pendle. This choice based lettings scheme is offered by over twenty reputable housing providers who have teamed up to provide the biggest selection of rented homes across Pendle, Burnley, Rossendale, Hyndburn and Blackburn with Darwen. It is designed to give better access to housing by advertising details of available homes. This gives you choice to decide which homes you wish to be considered for based on your housing need.

Housing Pendle is the main provider of sheltered accomodation in the Pendle area. These properties are located throughout Pendle, and any which become vacant are advertised through the B-with-us scheme.

Housing 21

There are also some housing associations which do not advertise vacancies by B-with-us and you would need to apply to these registered providers for accommodation directly.

Extra care housing

The term extra care housing is used to describe self-contained homes designed with specific features to suit your support needs. Support services are also available to enable you to look after yourself and live independently. Extra care housing is popular with people whose disabilities, frailty or health needs make ordinary housing unsuitable, but who do not need or want to move to long term care (residential or nursing homes).

A list of assisted living homes and extra care housing provision can be found at Housing Care.

Was this information helpful?

Green Flag Award Liberata Positive About Disabled People Investors In People ERDF Pendle Borough Council