A to Z of services
Cars for sale on the highway
Selling a vehicle
The sale of motor vehicles from the public highway is an improper use of the highway entitling Pendle Council, Lancashire County Council or Lancashire Constabulary to take action to have the vehicles removed or the current owners prosecuted.
All streets within Pendle are designated as consent streets, which means it is an offence to sell anything from a street without a street trading licence.
- Section 147A of the Highways Act 1980 (external link)
- Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 (external link)
Thinking of buying a vehicle?
If you're buying a used car privately, you should be doing the deal at the address shown on the V5/C Vehicle Registration Certificate (external link).
When you buy a car from a trader, you have legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (external link), as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 (external link) and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 (external link).
- To report cars for sale on the highway, please contact Lancashire County Council's Customer Service Centre on 0845 053 0011 or email email@example.com.
- If you think a trader is pretending to be a private seller, contact Lancashire County Council Trading Standards on 0845 600 1352 or 01772 533569 or complete their online complaint form.
- For more information about consumer rights when buying a used car, visit the website for Lancashire County Council Trading Standards.
- Can you do anything about food labelling?
- What if I have paid for unsatisfactory services, rather than goods?
- Do I need a receipt to get a refund?
- The goods I wanted were marked at a low price but the shop refused to sell them to me. Can they do this?
- The shop wants to carry out a repair. What if the goods are still faulty?
- What rights do I have if I buy faulty goods?
- Please can you let me know the council's budget for the trading standards division for the years 2008 - 2012?
Contact: Lancashire Highways
Telephone: 0845 053 0011Visit: http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/atoz/toptasks/index.asp?catID=13079 Area East Highways Office, Willows Lane, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 0RT
Contact: Trading Standards Lancashire
Telephone: 08454 04 05 06 or 01772 533569
Fax: 01772 533591Visit: http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/atoz/toptasks/index.asp?catID=13091 58-60 Trading Standards Office, County Hall, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 0LD